Sunday, July 7, 2013

Frigid lake

Blogger of the day: Ezra The engine started and we sailed out to the middle of Lake Constance. My dad and brother and I were renting a motorboat for a few hours in the evening while my mom and Jacob stayed at the house and watched Kiki's Delivery Service. Our dad told us to put our bathing suits on under our shorts so Jacob wouldn't know we were going on a boat. We were going to jump off the motorboat and into the lake. We drove on and on -- too long! -- but our dad couldn't remember whether he was supposed to stay closer than 400 meters to  land or farther than 400 meters from land. So he stayed at exactly 400 meters. But when I was finally allowed to swim I swam.I jumped in FREEZINGLY COLD water!! I swam about in the cold, cold water (do you think I have stressed how cold the way was?!). Only staying in the water for 30 seconds, I reached out for help to get back in the boat. Now it was Isaac's turn. He made many excuses. He looked for any reason not to get in. He wanted to know if there were sharks. He wanted to confirm it was a fresh water lake. We made many videos of him asking many questions. No, Isaac, there are no alligators. No, Isaac, there are no sharks (we had to tell him this many times). So finally he ran out of excuses (even one where I had to go back in the water one more time and look under the boat with my goggles to assure him there were NO SHARKS!!!). He jumped in and popped right out as if he actually HAD seen a shark. We drove around for another while (we got to drive the boat - I made many turns -- circles and circles). As we drove back to the dock, I thought to myself that even though the water was frigid, it won't stop me from trying new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment